Friday, November 17, 2006

Sisterlocks 5 Year Anniversary

Today is my 5 year anniversary of Sisterlocks. This was a big change for me, but I'm so grateful that the journey has turned out so well. Some of the freedoms that Sisterlocks have brought to me include:

  • No more booking Saturdays from 10am til 6pm at the hairdresser's. (The appointment should have only lasted 2 hours at the most.)
  • No more mandatory dependence on someone else to maintain my hair. There's an option to have someone else retighten, but I can retighten my hair myself
  • No more scalp or ear burns from relaxers or hot combs (hallelujah!)
  • No more bumping an itching head instead of scratching it because the relaxer would burn in scratched places
  • No more tears while I waited a few more minutes for the relaxer to "take" or the beautician to get a chance to rinse my hair (remember the scene from Malcolm X?)
  • No more hair that smells like Nair (yuck)
  • No more fear of water touching my hair. I'm still not the best swimmer, but I didn't worry about my hair when taking lessons or going into the ocean or pool.
  • No more buying hair to get long hair. I can wear a ponytail with the hair grown from my scalp, not hair bought at the local hair supply.
  • No more arranging life around my hairstyle
  • No more 12 hour sessions to get braids (which I loved) and 24 hour sessions to take them down (which I HATED) every 8 weeks
  • No more thousands of dollars spent at the beauty supply store to try to make my hair be something that it is not (I was a true product junkie)
  • No more trying to be something or someone that I'm not. What God makes is GOOD and I'm grateful for His design
  • Finally, deliverance from: the press & curl, the Jheri curl, the perms/relaxers, the fried/laid-to-the-side-took-all-day "do", the weaves, the freeze, the extensions, the piece of foam that was supposed to make the updo fuller (ha!), the fingerwaves (ridiculous on me), the sleeping still to preserve the style, the running from any and every source of water (sweat, rain, amusement park rides, pools, etc), the drama!

Getting to 5 years was not always easy for me, but I'm grateful that I found this style and made a positive change for my life. Let me just say, I love my locs!!! By the way, for all who have visited and made such kind comments, "Thank You!!!"

14 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....5 years. Jeri, your hair looks beautiful. Regarding this post, I say Amen,Amen, and Amen!!!!

Abena

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Thanks, Abena! I'm always glad to see that you stopped by. You're always so encouraging.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Chocolata said...

Jeri,

Congratulations on 5 years. Your hair is gorgeous.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeri,

Congrats on 5 years and on your baby girl. It's been 3+ years since you told me to hang in there. I used to visit your starter SL pics just hoping praying for length.

I've got length and then some. It's good seeing you post again.

Ve
SL 3 years

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger GIgirl said...

Your hair is beautiful. I am having serious lock envy. Keep on keeping on with the sisterlocks. GIgirl

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger still waters said...

Your Locks are 'Beautiful'and so pretty on you. I say heres to many more years of happy hair.

Thanks for the inspiration
Still

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Creyole said...

Oh, how I will love the day I report my 5th year anniversary. You are looking fab-u-lous and congrats mommy! April babies are of the kindest nature.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Cluizel said...

Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful!

SL almost 5 months

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger BlaqKofi said...

An absolutely awesome post! I loved it and can relate to it so well and I'm only at 17 months. Congratulations on your loc'versary. Stay strong, stay natural & stay locked!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Nappy Ole Me said...

Jeri,

Thank you soo much for your post and pictures. Your hair looks beautiful. I am a newbie when it comes to SisterLocks and this just makes me want my hair to grow faster and faster! Your hair is to die for. I know we aren't supposed to want what God has given others, but girl, I want my hair to look like yours!!!! It's so lovely. I can't wait for my 5 year anniversary (not rushing my life away). Anyway, much success and happiness. GOD IS A GOOD GOOD!

Alvina

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Quietspirit said...

Jeri, you hair is looking good. Congrtulations on making it to 5 year. Congratulations on your expected bundle of joy too.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Goodnapps said...

Hallelujah! AMEN AMEN AMEN!
Happy Anniversary Jeri. Your locks are absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing and being an inspiration to those of still trying to get to that sacred top of the mountain.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Thank you to all of you! You all just reinforce what a great choice SLs are. I'm looking forward to getting more length (mid back and even) and maybe even hair down to there!

I'm going to have to add some links to our blog since we don't have any now. I hope you all don't mind.

BTW, Creyole--we'll see on baby's locs :). She's moving all around as I type, so maybe that's a sign.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger brunsli said...

You look beautiful! You're a lock idol.

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home